Seeing as Wednesday is the start of my writing week, I thought I might share with you a few literary diversions to get you through your mid-week (anyone who uses the phrase “hump day” is not allowed to read this blog).
- The Pulitzer Prize committee could not decide on a winner in the Fiction category. You can read excerpts from most of the shortlisted books in all Literature categories here at The Millions. You can also read some interesting commentary from Laura Miller at Salon and Bethanne Patrick at Bookriot.
- Phill at toothsoup has just announced the toothsoup prize.
- This year’s Orange Prize for Fiction Shorlist has just been announced.
- If you’re not following “Peter Carey” on Twitter than you must be a post-doctoral Vogel-winning 33 year old ingenue.
- Amazon may be moving to Australia? Fairfax once again gleefully explains that local bookshops will “shudder” at the news.
And in final, really sad non-book news, I learned this morning that Levon Helm, legendary member of The Band and amazing musician in his own right, is in the final stages of cancer. His is a voice I’ve loved all my life, and it’s unbearably tragic to hear that it will soon disappear.
Here is the video I will be watching for the rest of the day: